For anyone with troubled skin or sensitive skin, charcoal masks are the perfect antidote. Charcoal is great for drawing impurities out of the pores, which leaves your skin feeling smooth and fresh. It also reduces inflammation and helps reduce acne breakouts.
Do you have a skincare routine? If not, now is the time to start! Here are some of the best charcoal face masks for your skin. Whether you suffer from acne or just want to make sure that your pores are clean and clear, these masks will do wonders for your complexion.
Best Charcoal Face Masks For Detoxifying Skin
Ovi Skin Deep Cleansing & Detoxifying Face Mask
Our mineral-rich, age-defying Volcanic Ash facial mask gently absorbs oil, helping to reduce large-sized pores and eliminate built-up impurities leaving tired and stressed skin feeling energetic, vibrant and whole again. OVI is a powerful raw detoxifier & cleanser made for stressed and sensitive skin with natural oils and rich nutrients found from volcanic islands worldwide.
- Detoxify, tighten and brighten your skin.
- Vegan & cruelty-free.
- Remove impurities built up in pores.
- Raw detoxifier & cleanser.
- Assists in spot reducing pimples.
Why You'llYou'll Love It
- This mask is formulated with activated charcoal, which dives deep into your pores to clear out blackheads, impurities, and dead skin.
- We love the immediate effects of this mask. Once you peel it off, your skin is visibly smoother and tighter.
- If you're on the oily side, this mask also minimises shine and shuts down the appearance of pores.
- K-beauty obsessed? You'reYou're going to want to add PUREHEALS to your list of Korean skincare brands to love.
How to Use It
Put This Mask to Work in the PM
- Wash your face with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply a thin layer of this charcoal mask evenly all over your face.
- Wait 15 minutes, then peel off the mask.
- Follow with moisturiser (if your skin feels dry) and hit the hay. You'llYou'll wake up with extra glowy skin!
Deep Pore Detox Activated Charcoal Exfoliating Mask
This all-natural powder mask helps clear skin and unclog pores while giving you an instantly refreshed look. A supernatural burst of Activated Bamboo Charcoal, Kaolin Clay and Organic Calendula latches onto the dirt and oil in pores, helping to clear away clogged pores and lurking breakouts.
Our clarifying sea salt brew is blended in with the clay base. The powdered salt crystals gently exfoliate as you apply the mask and then gradually dissolve into the skin to help heal and clarify as the mask dries.
In this 100 percent natural formula, activated bamboo charcoal is mixed with kaolin clay and organic calendula. Kaolin clay tones the skin, helps to control oil production and gently exfoliates away dead skin cells. Meanwhile, calendula's anti-inflammatory properties soothe the skin. These three-star ingredients are diluted in a clarifying sea salt brew for more gentle exfoliation.
If you don't have time for complete mask treatment, you can mix this product with your favourite cleanser. Simply mix equal parts mask, and cleanser then washes and rinse your face as you usually would. It'll add a bit of extra detoxing power to your routine without taking up any spare time.
How To Use:
AS A PORE CLEARING MASK: Pour a quarter-sized amount into the palm of the hand or a small bowl. Slowly add drops of water while mixing until a paste is created. Paint onto face in circular motions. Rinse off once dry. Exact: 1 teaspoon mask & 1/3-1/2 teaspoon water.
AS A PORE CLEARING CLAY CLEANSER: In the palm of the hand, blend equal parts mask and your favourite face cleanser, adding water as needed. Rub hands together to mix, gently massage into skin to cleanse, then rinse. Try it with clariSEA'sclariSEA's Purifying Cleanser or Skintox Activated Charcoal Salt Bar!
Kaolin, Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Sodium Chloride (Mineral Salt), Organic Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Activated Bamboo Charcoal Powder
Luminising Charcoal Mask
Peel reveals a luminous, detoxified and flawless complexion with an innovative peel-off mask powered by Activated Black Charcoal.
Peel-off masks get a bad rap—and they can be irritating in people with sensitive complexions. But if you have oily, acne-prone skin that's prone to blackheads, this charcoal peel-off mask will help get rid of impurities and reduce shine, says Debra Jaliman, M.D., a board-certified dermatologist in New York City and the author of Skin Rules. Note: Be sure to apply a thick layer of product so you can easily peel the mask off in one go.
The original charcoal mask and reigning fan favourite, Luminising Charcoal Mask, is a peel-off mask powerhouse that unveils a post-peel, pore-less glow worth sharing. Chock-full of powerful antioxidants like Activated Charcoal and Vitamin C, this powerfully detoxifying mask helps minimise pores' appearance, banish blackheads, and enhance radiance while leaving your skin feeling flawlessly fresh and clean!
Preferable for all skin types.
Clinical studies show after four weeks of use:
- 100% of users reported their skin felt clean and less oily.
- 94.7% of users reported their skin felt softer.
- 84.2% of users reported their skin appeared brighter and more radiant, and their pores felt tighter and more refined.
Absorbs dirt and excess oil, detoxifies, and exfoliates to refine the appearance of pores instantly and overtime
Calcium Montmorillonite Clay
First discovered in Montmorillon, France, in the 1800s, it is considered the premier quality clay containing 67 minerals.
Absorbs excess oil, impurities, and toxins gently exfoliate dead skin cells and minimise the appearance of pores instantly and over time.
Vitamin C (Ascorbyl Glucoside)
Help brighten skin tone and minimise fine lines as it defends against free radical damage
Contains Boscia signature botanical blend
Jojoba helps to prevent free radical damage while nourishing the skin
Willowherb helps to calm skin inflammation and reduce visible redness and irritation
How To Use ?
Apply a thick, opaque, even layer to clean, dry skin. Avoid eye area, eyebrows, hairlines and lips. Leave on for 30 minutes or until completely dry. Gently peel off the mask from the outer edges and rinse off any residue. Follow with moisturiser. Use once or twice a week. Warning: For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs, rinse eyes thoroughly with water. Please do not use it on skin that is irritated, broken or sunburned. If irritation develops, discontinue use immediately and consult a physician. Avoid contact with clothing. If contact occurs, rinse immediately with warm water.
All Mask. No Mess.
Hit the reset button on stressed skin. Our Clay Face Mask Sticks are formulated with premium Kaolin clay that micro-exfoliates to remove skin-dulling congestion. Black Charcoal draws out impurities, reducing the appearance of pores and leaving skin soft, refined and revived. And since black charcoal is known to be tough on oil, this Pore Detox stick is perfect for your T-zone or an allover deep clean. This easy-to-apply mask lets you target specific areas on your face, so you can multi-mask for whatever your skin needs.
Talk about easy to use! This mess-free stick (infused with charcoal and kaolin clay) rolls over your face so you can target specific areas that may be oilier than others, like your T-zone. Rinse off after 10 minutes, and you'll notice smoother skin and minimized pores.
Find Clarity Purifying Mask
White and bamboo charcoal join forces with clays to detoxify your skin without drying it out. Other ways to use this mask: Put a dab on a blemish as a spot treatment or mix a little with water and use it as a cleanser on days your skin is feeling extra oily. This convenient packet is also only 1.5 ounces, so you can easily travel with it.
An acne-clearing mask made with two types of clay and two types of charcoal to detoxify (not dry out) skin. The clays (kaolin and bentonite) mildly exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells and sop up excess sebum and oil. The charcoal (binchotan white charcoal and bamboo) act as a magnet, attracting toxins and drawing impurities out of the skin. The smooth, creamy clay doesn't dry down completely, so it won't suck the life out of your skin. Instead, when you rinse, your skin feels refreshed and clean. Its handy pouch makes easy use and cleans up without taking up too much precious shelf space as an added benefit.
How To Use?
HOW: Apply an even layer to clean, dry skin. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse with cool water.
WHERE: Entire face.
WHEN: 1-3 times a week.
GOOD TO KNOW: Use a dab of the mask as an overnight spot treatment on pimples, or use a small amount on wet skin as a clay cleanser (great for oily skin types).
Use within 12 months once opened, or keep it on your vanity unopened for up to two years.
Ulta's Detoxifying Charcoal Deep Cleansing Clay Mask is excellent for oily, acne-prone skin and congested pores. Deeply cleanse and purifies pores for a clear, healthy-looking complexion.
- Activated charcoal helps draw out dirt and impurities from the skin.
- Kaolin Clay helps absorb oil and mattify skin.
- Menthol helps calm and cool skin.
- Not for use on sensitive skin
How to Use?
Cleanse skin before use. Apply mask evenly over skin, avoiding the eye and mouth areas. Allow to dry for up to 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with warm water. Use up to two times per week or as needed. For multi-masking, apply to oily or acne-prone areas of the face such as the forehead, nose, and chin.
Precautions: For external use only. Keep out of reach of children. Not for use on sensitive or broken skin. Test a small quantity of mask on the inside of the upper arm before use; if sensitivity occurs, do not use it. Avoid direct contact with eyes. If the product gets into the eyes, rinse well with clean water.
This unique and powerful exfoliating and brightening mask helps promote a visible improvement in skin's clarity and smoothness. Icelandic Volcanic Sand physically exfoliates and acts as a magnet to attract congestion and excess oil. Black Lava and Charcoal purify and minimise the appearance of pores to leave skin clearer and more balanced. Mandelic acid helps to brighten and exfoliate, resulting in more luminous, firmer and younger-looking skin.
- Exfoliates and purifies to help remove congestion
- Helps to balance oil production
- Brightens and helps even skin tone
- Double exfoliation leaves skin ultra-smooth and luminous
Detox & Brighten Face Mask
Indulgent. Transformative. Perfectly Clean.
Transform Skin in Just 10 Minutes with these 3 Pure Clays and Charcoal Mask for Dull and Tired-looking Skin.
L'Oréal Paris Skin Experts have created a supercharged Pure-Clay face mask with the power and benefits of charcoal to detoxify and illuminate your skin in just 10 minutes. Our indulgent and powerful face mask formula provides a luxurious experience while rich pure clays and charcoal act like a magnet to clean out pores and draw out and capture deep impurities (such as dirt, oil, and pollution). This creamy, non-drying charcoal mask leaves skin feeling clean, velvety, and rebalanced, addressing your dull, tired skin to reveal a purified, even, and radiant complexion. Immediately, the skin looks brighter with a healthy glow. Our charcoal mask provides deep pore cleansing–dirt, dust and pollution are removed from the skin. Skin's complexion looks fresher and more even. Use After use, and the skin is clean as if detoxified. Skin feels as though it can breathe better.
3 Balancing Set
It'sIt's hard to practice self-control when clogged pores are begging to be squeezed. Skip the scarring that comes from manual extractions with this profoundly cleansing activated charcoal mask. Nutrient-rich kaolin clay absorbs excess oil, and salicylic acid exfoliates for an un-clogged, balanced complexion.
The ultimate balancing act. Formulated with safer ingredients, this collection of daily skin enhancers gently refines oily, uneven skin. The trio includes a Facial Mask, Facial Mist, and Facial Oil infused with ylang-ylang. Featuring activated charcoal, the formulas absorb excess oil and refine skin texture to give you a smooth, polished appearance. Perfect for those concerned with clarity, calming, and balancing.
City Block Purifying Charcoal Clay Mask + Scrub
A dual-action mask purifies and polishes skin for a delightful deep-clean treatment. Natural bamboo charcoal and kaolin clay help remove pollution and impurities, while natural silica beads gently refine texture.
This fast-acting mask works in just five minutes. Even better, it's a multitasker. Charcoal and clay work together to sop up oil, while tiny silica beads gently slough away dead skin cells for a baby-smooth face when it's time to remove; use warm water and move your fingers over your face in slow circular motions to maximise the exfoliating benefits.
What it is: A five-minute, dual-action detoxifying and exfoliating clay mask.
Who it's for: All skin types.
What it does: It purifies and polishes your skin for a delightful deep-clean treatment. Natural bamboo charcoal and kaolin clay help remove pollution and impurities, while natural silica beads gently refine your skin's texture.
How to use:
- Use 1-2 times a week.
- Apply generously to clean skin.
- Avoid the eye area.
- Leave on for five minutes or until the mask turns pale blue.
- Remove with warm water, massaging in a circular motion to exfoliate.
In addition to purifying bamboo charcoal and circulation-boosting Hawaiian chilli pepper, this mask contains a dose of turmeric to help fade dark spots and brighten your skin tone. Once a week, massage a small amount across your face (a slight tingling is normal), leave it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse.
Inspired by powerful ingredients grown throughout the Hawaiian islands, 'Āina draws its name from the land ('Āina means "land" in the Hawaiian language). 'Āina is a detoxifying mask that utilises potent plant-derived ingredients to give skin a revitalised glow. Highlight ingredients include charcoal, Kalo, turmeric, Hawaiian chilli pepper, Kamani.
Instructions For Use
Use 1-2x weekly after cleansing with the Pa'akai Cleansing Cream. Massage a dime-nickel size over the entire face and let it work its magic for 10-15 minutes. A slight tingling sensation is typical but will dissipate after a few minutes. Rinse or towel off with cool water. Follow with Hawaiian Beauty Water or go directly to Aloha Youth Serum to lock in hydration. Ideal for all skin types. The skin may experience redness due to the chilli pepper. If your skin is susceptible, please patch it before using it on your face.
The ingredients in this luxurious mask make the price tag worth it. Two types of charcoal purify the skin, supercharged jasmine with mango, papaya, pineapple extract, loosen dead cells, and golden pearl spheres encapsulated with jojoba oil moisturised upon application. And, it's gentle enough for daily use.
Purify & Cleanse! This gentle-yet-powerful cleanser, exfoliant and mask buffs, brightens, hydrates and protects, absorbing impurities and whisking away dead cells before delivering melt-in-your-skin moisture.
- Binchotan Japanese charcoal absorbs impurities and oil without stripping skin.
- Activated charcoal powder gently exfoliates and helps to reveal fresher-looking skin.
- Mango, pineapple and papaya extracts loosen dead skin cells and help to exfoliate gently.
- The ginger extract helps to brighten the skin.
- Jasmine and tamarind extracts help to soothe and rebalance skin.
- Encapsulated jojoba oil melts upon application and helps to soften skin.
- Padina Pavonica (brown algae) helps protect against environmental pollutants.
Who it's For: All skin types in need of brightening purification.
Thanks to soothing bisabolol (a part of the chamomile plant known for its anti-inflammatory properties) and hydrating glycerin, this detoxifying Japanese white charcoal and kaolin clay mask never makes my sensitive irritation-prone skin red or itchy—the dream.
This at-home charcoal mask minimises the appearance of pores while absorbing excess dirt, oil and debris trapped deep in the pores.
- Japanese white charcoal and clay absorb excess dirt, oil and debris
- Minimises the appearance of pores
- Deeply detoxifies pores and helps support a clear complexion
3 in 1 Face Wash, Scrub and Mask with Charcoal
Garnier Skinactive Ultra Clean 3-in-1 with charcoal is an innovative face wash that can be used in 3 different ways. As a daily cleanser to clean pores and deeply clean skin of dirt, oil and impurities. As a face scrub, improve the skin texture to be softer & smoother and as a face mask to reduce oil. Formulated with charcoal and white clay, this product was designed to address oily and combination skin needs. After use, the skin feels fresher and cleaner.
Formulated with charcoal and white clay, this product addresses complicated oily and combination skin differently. Use it as a daily face wash to clean, a face scrub to soften, and a face mask to reduce oil.
With Clay & Oats for Exfoliation, Detan & Glow
Nestled at the helm of our all-natural, highly effective range of total body care lies The Kajli Collection, products with activated charcoal as the base ingredient.
Khadi Essentials The Kajli Collection – Activated Bamboo Charcoal & Oats Face Mask
This majestic skincare product from our portfolio had its origins when the use of chemicals was unheard of. Integrated with our philosophy of using only natural and organic ingredients in all our products, Khadi Essentials The Kajli Collection – Activated Bamboo Charcoal & Oats Face Mask is at the epicentre of this legacy we rigorously follow. The Kajli Collection, products with Activated Bamboo Charcoal as the base ingredient, is your doorway to eternally fresh, vibrant and youthful skin.
The components in Khadi Essentials The Kajli Collection – Activated Bamboo Charcoal & Oats Face Mask include Activated Bamboo Charcoal, Oats, Honey, Bentonite Clay and Lemon Peel Extract, all expertly blended in this detoxifying face mask that freshens your pores to leave your skin looking and feeling clear, fresh and blemish-free. Activated Bamboo Charcoal is a supreme skin cleanser, exfoliator and brightener. It will remove impurities, blemishes and dullness from your skin. If you want glowing and dazzling skin, look no further. Oatmeal helps to retain moisture in the skin and contain antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, vitamins and minerals that protect the skin from the harmful effects of UV rays and environmental pollutants while soothing the skin. It is an oft used ingredient in premium face masks. Honey is a magically versatile and all-natural ingredient for your skin for glow and optimum moisture. Bentonite Clay has been traditionally used to remove impurities from the skin, leaving it bright and radiant. Lemon Peel has 5 to 10 times more Vitamin C than lemon and hence treats and brightens the skin that much more effectively.
Benefits of Khadi Essentials The Kajli Collection – Activated Bamboo Charcoal & Oats Face Mask
- Activated Bamboo Charcoal gently detoxifies and dynamically brightens the skin. It also unclogs the pores, removes dirt, excess sebum and oil. It also leaves the skin optimally moisturised while its natural properties provide oxygen to the skin and absorb minerals extensively, leaving the skin thoroughly detoxified, refreshed and cleansed. It is also a potent exfoliator to get rid of dead skin cells and open clogged pores.
- Oatmeal helps your skin retain moisture. Its abundance of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, vitamins, and minerals guards the skin against damage, including UV rays and environmental pollutants, making it a great face mask. It will also soothe itchy, dry and irritated skin and eliminate acne and excess oil.
- Honey naturally treats acne, and as a natural antibacterial and antioxidant agent, it is a magical cure for ageing and dry skin. Moreover, it gently soothes the skin and leaves it luminescent.
- Bentonite Clay is packed with natural minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron. Together, they work to remove toxins from the skin, treat oily skin and acne, protect the skin from harmful UV rays, and detoxify its layers.
- Packed with vital multivitamins, minerals and fibres, Lemon Peel Extract regulates the pH levels and is a refreshing treat for your skin. Lemon Peel Extract is also greatly effective in fighting wrinkles, acne, excess pigmentation, suntan and melanin spots.
This water-activated charcoal mask heats up as soon as you rub it onto your damp skin. The spa-like warmth doesn't just feel nice, and it also helps open up your pores so the charcoal can get in there and suck up dirt and oil.
Melt away the stress. Melt away the dirt and oil. Infused with natural charcoal, this warming mask opens pores and draws out dirt. It finishes with a cooling sensation for tingly-smooth skin in just one minute. Mix this charcoal face mask with water to increase heating action by 2x. Talk about turning up the heat.
- Great for Oily Skin
- Non-Comedogenic (won't clog pores)
- Dermatologist Tested
Black Charcoal Peel Off Mask
An effective peel-off mask that helps draw out dirt and impurities, leaving skin clean and refreshed with a signature blend of Charcoal and Witch Hazel.
Formulated with the potent purifying benefits of Charcoal and Witch hazel, with our signature blend of botanical extracts (including Aloe, Grapefruit, Licorice root, Orange, Tea tree, Honeysuckle flower), this innovative peel-off mask helps to improve clarity by effectively drawing out impurities for a fresh and invigorated complexion.
Main Ingredient: Black Charcoal & Aloe
Main Effects: Pore Care & Clarify
Apply on to clean and dry skin an even layer. Avoid eyes, brows and hairline. Leave for 15 mins or until completely dry. Gently peel off and rinse the remaining residue with water.
Irish Moor Mud Mask
It is a purifying, decongesting and hydrating mask with odourless Irish moor mud to draw out dirt, oil, and impurities.
Who it's for: All skin types.
What it does: It infuses skin with moisture and vitamins, too. Containing the highest level of organic content globally, black moor mud is harvested by hand from the Irish countryside. It is rich in nutrients, essential minerals and potent antioxidants to help protect against skin damage. The look of pores, fine lines and wrinkles are minimised, leaving skin looking pure, fresh, hydrated and radiant.
How to use:
- Using your fingertips, apply evenly on clean skin.
- Leave on for up to 10 minutes.
- Remove with a warm, damp washcloth and rinse your skin thoroughly to ensure you're removing any remaining residue.
- Use 2–3 times per week or as desired.
Charcoal Face Masks: Pros and Cons
What Is Activated Charcoal?
When you think of charcoal, you likely picture briquettes in a backyard grill; that’s not the same ingredient as is used in skincare products. Instead, you’ll find what’s called activated charcoal. It’s a powdery made from bamboo, coconut husk, or wood, among other carbonaceous natural resources.
Activated charcoal is treated with oxygen, which gives it a much more porous structure than its brick-like counterpart. Therefore, it’s generally not toxic to humans.
In fact, activated charcoal is commonly used in medical circles to prevent toxic substances from entering the body. For example, someone who has ingested poison can be fed a mixture containing activated charcoal to sop up poison in the stomach before it has a chance to infiltrate the bloodstream.
Activated charcoal is also crucial in water filtration. In particular, it’s good at attracting chlorine and other impurities that can be lethal if consumed in excess. Activated charcoal also helps water taste better.
Benefits of Charcoal in Skincare
- If you have oily or combination skin acne-prone skin, activated charcoal should work well for you. Because of activated charcoal’s porous makeup, products with this ingredient can bind to and shuttle out excess sebum and other impurities such as bacteria.
- Activated charcoal can protect the skin from environmental factors that contribute to dull skin, according to a study published in the December 2017 edition of MPDI Cosmetics. This is excellent news for anyone who lives in a big city that may be rife with pollution. When combined with other absorbent ingredients (like kaolin clay), activated charcoal can draw pollutants such as metal particles, airborne chemicals, and ozone up and out of the skin.
- A 2018 study from the Chemical Research in Toxicology observed the efficacy of activated charcoal in cigarette filters. The result was a reduction in exposure to free radicals, which are unstable atoms that can damage cells and lead to premature aging. Activated charcoal can potentially provide a similar level of protection for your skin against fine lines and wrinkles.
Risks of Charcoal in Skincare
- While activated charcoal can be a blessing for oily/combination skin types, it can have the opposite effect on people with dry skin. It makes sense — activated charcoal is known as absorbent, not hydrating. However, dry skin lacks sebum. An ingredient like activated charcoal will only create a more profound imbalance.
- If you prefer to ingest activated charcoal powder or pills to help clear your skin, be mindful of any medications you currently take. Remember that activated charcoal prevents drugs from entering the bloodstream — by taking activated charcoal supplements, you could render your medications useless.
- Activated charcoal can be found in several skincare products like cleansers and exfoliants. However, it’s typically used in peel-off masks (which can damage your skin) and sheet masks (which can be bad for the environment). We’ll elaborate on this in the next section.
Using Charcoal Face Masks in Your Skincare Routine
For anyone with oily skin or residence in a highly polluted area, activated charcoal can be a welcome addition to your routine. It can absorb excess sebum and impurities while creating a barrier against environmental pollutants.
But make sure you use this popular ingredient correctly. Opt for masks and other products that gently exfoliate and cleanse instead of pulling and damaging your skin. (The YORA Revitalise Face Polish combined with the Revitalise Face Mask are charcoal-free alternatives that can exfoliate and deeply hydrate your skin.) Look to formulas that are consciously formulated with other skin-nourishing ingredients. When appropriately used, purifying charcoal can provide you with a smooth, radiant complexion.